Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cloth Diaper Shopping List


Before I started cloth diapering Colin I wasn't sure exactly what I needed.  Now I feel like I have everything under control, so here are the things we use in our home!

  • You'll need a good trash can to store all your diapers in.  We use the Simplehuman Slim Plastic Step Can .  It's really great to have the step can so you don't have to touch the lid.
  • Speaking of trash cans, you will need a trash can liner.  We have two (one for the wash and one for the dirty diapers)  We use Planet Wise Pail Liner.  They have really cute designs and solid colors as well.
  • Now onto cleaning the diapers!  We use the bumGenius Diaper Sprayer.  I love this thing.  It works great to get the poo off the diapers.  It's also very easy to install. 
  • For cleaning the diapers we use Rockin Green Detergent. We have hard well water, so this works best for us. Nicki's Diapers has other detergents as well listed here.  Don't use fabric softeners or bounce sheets.  It will make your diapers repel which is no fun.
  • As for diapers we choose to purchase a mixture of brands which worked out very well for us.  Some diapers I prefer for overnights when others I wouldn't dare put on my baby overnight.  You'll find out what works best for your child.  I purchased most of my diapers from Nicki's Diapers.  We chose to buy pocket diapers.  I love pocket diapers!  I own one diaper that has the inserts sewn in and I hate it.  It leaks every time.  The brands we bought are: bumGeniusFuzziBunzRumparoozCharlie Banana, and I purchased Rockabums from their actual site.  Rockabums is our favorite diaper for Colin,  We bought a total of 30 diapers, and I do laundry every day.  You could probably get away with having about 25 if you do laundry every day.  I just couldn't stop buying them.  They are sooo cute!  You'll see what I mean when you get started, it gets kind of addicting.
  • If you're going to cloth diaper you might as well do cloth wipes.  I know that it might sound scary or gross, but think about a trash can full of stinky wipes that sits around for a week until the trash man comes!  Yuck!  We bought two kinds of wipes.  One are flannel from the etsy store Turtles R Us.  They are affordable and she has cute patterns.  The other are the Prince Lionheart Wipes and I bought three sets of those. It's nice to have two different fabrics for wiping.  We have a total of 72 wipes! There is always some left over, but it's nice to have extra.
  • As for diaper creams and ointments we use Grandma El's.  I made the HUGE mistake of putting too much of this on our baby in the beginning of our cloth diaper adventure.  Don't do that.  You'll have pee leaking on you every time your baby pees, which is no fun for either of you.  It made the diapers repel and I had to strip them.  So, I learned to not put this on him for every diaper change.  I only use it when he's getting a red area, and I put the tiniest thinest layer on his skin.  I only trouble shoot the problem areas.  There is no need to put this all over the baby's bum.
  • Now when you leave the house you'll need a wet bag to put the dirty diapers and cloth wipes in until you get home.  We got the Planet Wise Wet/Dry Bag as a gift.  You could also use the Planet Wise Wet Bag.  The only difference is the wet/dry bag has a front 'dry' zipper pouch.  Planet Wise has a lot of cute patterns to choose from.
  • You'll also need a small wet pouch to hold your wet wash cloth wipes when you're on the go.  We got ours for free from Nicki's Diapers.  They do a lot of freebies if you spend a certain amount.  We got the Planet Wise Wipe Pouch.  
Well that's everything we use in our home.  If you have any questions feel free to comment below.  I know getting started can be confusing at times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...